Keeping good care of your gold jewellery is essential for ensuring it stays as clean and sparkly as possible. There are many different factors that can cause gold jewellery to tarnish or become damaged and dirty. Follow the steps outlined below to make sure your gold jewellery is unaffected by everyday grime and damaging factors.
- Don’t spray perfumes or other sprays whilst wearing your gold jewellery. Ensure you spray before putting your jewellery on so that the chemicals in the sprays don’t react with the metals in your gold jewellery.
- Wait until your lotion or cream is dry or has been absorbed before you wear your gold jewellery. Similar to the first point, chemicals in these could damage your gold jewellery.
- Substances like oils, nail polish, nail polish remover, chlorine, perfumes and similar products may react with your gold jewellery and will cause it to tarnish easily. This also goes for sweat, so make sure you don’t forget to remove your gold jewellery when you exercise, do any activity that requires heavy physical work or when you are swimming.
- After every use, clean your gold jewellery with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth to remove any dirt it may have acquired. Gently rubbing the surface of your gold jewellery using a soft jewellery cloth also helps to restore shine.
- If your gold jewellery requires more cleaning, you may clean it with warm, soapy water. Soak it in the water for a few minutes and clean with a soft brush. Avoid jewellery cleaners or antibacterial soaps as these may contain certain components that would just make your gold jewellery tarnish quicker.
- To avoid scratches to your gold jewellery, wrap it in a soft cloth after cleaning and store it in a jewellery box separate from your other jewellery.
By following these steps, your gold jewellery should remain in a good condition for you to continually wear it and love it. However, if you are thinking of getting rid of any gold jewellery you have lying around that you don’t have time to maintain, we buy it for a great price.
Come and visit us at 28 Mason Street, Manchester M4 5EY. Find out more about our gold buying process and more information on why you should sell your gold to us. If you would like more information contact us or call 0161 273 2511.